Friday, November 26, 2010

The Things We are Thankful For: Dinosaur Soup

So, as Thanksgiving week is coming to an end and everyone is recovering from a Thursday of food, friends, and family, I must take the time to reflect on a major blessing in my life: dinosaur soup.

Some of you may be wondering what this is all about, so I did a little research on the actual "Dinosaur Soup Recipe" (which does exist...clearly because the recipe is online). You can also buy a whole book of such recipes at the always-classy Bobs Your Uncle Shop which I also found in my intensive research (completely limited to typing "dinosaur soup" in Yahoo). I believe the recipe is designed to make children eat their vegetables by calling it something more appealing. If you know me, this is still required for me to eat certain foods which are red (because that means they have tomatoes in them), green (peppers are gross), and crunchy (get them stinkin onions outta my food).

Ever since I have engaged in this activity which many of us call "marriage", my lovely wife and I have had quite an adventure learning about daily household chores such as cleaning, doing the bills, buying new pet fish when we kill 6 in one week, and cooking dinner. When I say, "we had an adventure", I truly mean, "Laura had an adventure" because I am a lazy man who refuses to believe that I don't live in a college dormroom anymore. While I could spend considerable time elaborating on the many chores which I didn't know existed prior to marriage, our story at hand is directly related to the chore of cooking (which leads to my chore of eating).

Each day since July 31st, Laura asks me one simple question "What do you want for dinner?" To be honest, at first, I found some power in answering this question as if I could just make some sort of genie-in-the-bottle type of wish and my table would be filled with my favorite O'Charley's soup and rolls. Well, I quickly learned my choices were basically beef, chicken, or fish. So, to spice things up, I quickly begun answering the question with "Dinosaur soup" (not knowing that any such creation existed....I just thought it sounded funny....remember, I still think I live in a college dorm). So, for the past three months, my wife makes a variety of dishes which I refer to as Dinosaur soup.

Now, you know the quick story. Why am I thankful for this? Well, to put it simply, because I have a wife that actually puts up with my "I'm married but I still act like I'm a single kid who refuses to wash his clothes" attitude. I am blessed to have someone with such patience and kindness in my life...and a pretty good sense of humor (which I test every day...I promise). While I know that I will be forced to grow up one day, she is only forceful about it on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

Yes, it's a miracle I'm married. That's why I'm thankful, people! I'm thankful for Dinosaur soup and the woman who serves it to me daily.

Thankfully,
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment