Monday, August 30, 2010

Faith and Textbooks

Ok, so our first week of seminary has ended (well about 4 days ago.  Sorry for the late post!).  After a full week of classes, syllabi, and job-hunting, I think our seminary experience will mostly be summed up in two words (as shown in the title of this post):  Faith and Textbooks

Of course the "faith" part is usually implied, but I must admit that I had never thought life at seminary would require so much of this often-used word.  Before, I thought I knew what faith meant, but now I am beginning to grasp the concept in a much deeper way.  For the sake of the reader, I will list out the reasons:

1) I am a newly married man who has no idea what I'm doing (and I figure this out more each day).
2) I am new here.  As stated in the first post, there are many differences between California and Mississippi!
3) Seminary really is graduate-level learning!  Yes, this should have been known, but, let's be honest, most people (including myself before last week) think seminary is merely "Bible school" and picture it like VBS or Sunday School. 

Number 3 brings me to my next word which defines my life: textbooks.  Laura and I have developed a new hobby called "reading".  It is a new concept to both of us, but I think it will grow on us.  And, while we absolutely love learning and growing through the reading of textbooks, we are definitely in over our heads after one week of seminary and probably about 250-300 pages of reading after one week of class.  Thus, we must use our first concept, faith, to even believe we will ever pass classes! 

Laura and I are enjoying marriage, California life, and school more than we can ever imagine, but let us please remember that we can NEVER accomplish anything in these three areas outside the marvelous hand of our King.  For that, I am thankful to know that my strength is inadequate.  I have learned that it is in the most physically and spiritually demanding times that I learn and grow the most.  As I have heard quoted many times, it is in the valley where the fruit grows and not on the mountain top.  Praise God from whom all blessings flow!  He has brought us here, and he will sustain us here.

In Christ,
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment