Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Encouragement from the Father of Modern Missions

I must admit that the days are getting harder here. School is busy, bills are coming, and a job seems further away than ever. I have spent this morning listening to Leviticus on audiobook (thankful to Dr. A for allowing our Bible reading to be a listening project as well), checking emails, and reading a biography on William Carey. The biography, Faithful Witness by Timothy George, has served as a great source of encouragement in the past days. Sometimes, we need to read of the strength of others to remind ourselves that we aren't the only ones dealing with hardships. I encourage each of you to read this biography. William Carey not only served as a great example for global mission work but also as an incredible example of a man living through struggles and glorifying God in everything. Here is a writing from Carey's journal following a hard time dealing with death, sickness, and isolation from his family and friends in India:

"This is indeed the valley of the shadow of death to me, except that my soul is much more insensible than John Bunyan's Pilgrim. O what would I give for a kind of sympathetic friend, such as I had in England, to whom I might open my heart! But I rejoice that I am here, notwithstanding; and God is here, who not only can have compassion, but is able to save to the uttermost." -Timothy George, Faithful Witness, 109

I pray that our hearts will be like Carey's: confident in our call to be in this place, confident in God's presence, and faith when fruit is unseen.

Blessings,
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment