Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Holy Week

I have always known of the idea of Holy Week but have never really had a church (that I remember) celebrate it before. Aside from our normal weekly activities we also added two additional services to our church week.

The first was Maundy Thursday. As a kid I am embarrassed to admit I always thought they were saying Monday Thursday. I was educated at this service, however, that the word "Maundy" comes from the Latin word commandment. At the passover dinner Jesus gave a final commandment to his disciples

In John 13 we read:

12 When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. “Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them. 13 “You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. 14 Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. 15 I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. 16 Very truly I tell you, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. 17 Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.

So each year the day before Good Friday we celebrate the last supper where Jesus gives us a missional speech as Maundy Thursday!

This service was one I'm sure I will never forget. It was totally different from any one I have been to. We had a guest artist come and paint a picture in front of us as we took communion. Remembering the last supper and the words of Jesus to his disciples. As the painting progressed it brought different thoughts and images to mind.

Here are a few pictures from the service:





We also had a special Good Friday service at our church. I learned a fun fact on the radio this week about Good Friday. One possibility of where the word "Good" came from is that it came from being called "God's Friday." For our service our choir members did a cantata and scripture reading performance for us. Steve even played hand bells! I knew all of you would want to experience that so I recorded a little of his playing for you.


Finally to end our Holy Week Steve and I had a great Easter. Taking the time to reflect so much on the sacrifice of Christ and the resurrection day earlier in the week really made Easter that much better. Our church was full the first service and packed out for the second one. After our second service some of the ladies of the church put on a free Easter Lunch for everyone. Steve and I enjoyed fellowshiping and then headed home for a nice relaxing afternoon after a very busy week.




Steve and I hope you had a wonderful Holy Week this year too. We pray that Christ's gift of eternal life has continued to impact your daily thoughts this week. We love miss you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment