Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Elijah's Birth

It has taken me a little longer than I (Laura) expected to be able to write this Blog. I started it a few months ago and the trama of it all stopped me from getting very far. So many of you prayed for us while details were scarce and we thank you so much for that. So without further delay here is Elijah's story:

Monday October 12th started with contractions about 10 mins apart. I thought it could be the onset of labor but somehow they didn't feel concerning enough to wake Steve. So, I just got up and started timing them. By the time Steve woke up they hadn't changed much but were still consistant. We figured we might as well go in and get them checked so we called the Lackey family from our church who were sitting on hold for us to drop Ruth at a moments notice.

Not much changed by the time we arrived at the hopital contractions were still mild but about 8 min. Apart. They monitored me for several hours and decided to let us walk around the hospital to see if that would push things a long. After several hours of walking the time between contractions sped up but the intensity did not. Once hooked to the monitor again they slowed and we were told we could head home. Almost half way through the ride home the contractions stopped all together. False alarm!

Wednesday the 14th contractions started back early afternoon with a vengeance. While Ruth slept I started counting and timing them. By about 5 I told Steve I couldn't wait anymore and we had to hit the road. Once again we dropped Ruth and were on our way. This time we were pretty sure we wouldn't be back without a little one! (We were right!)

It was a popular night in triage and had to wait for about an hour to get in a room. Once there it was another 2 or so hours before seeing the doctor. An out later from that they let us cross the hall to be admitted to labor and delivery and revive drugs!!! We got checked in (for what we assumed was the long haul) right after midnight! (We were pretty excited to learn our baby's birthday would be October 15, 2015!) Soon after check in the anistesiologist came in and the epidural was given! Praise the Lord for modern meds! She was so nice and we were able to talk about our faith with her. She was not a Christian but a person of peace. Shortly after the pain subsided was when the Chaos began. Our room filled with about 10 (or more?!) medical perfesionals trying to find baby's heartbeat. The Lord is so good because I had a true peace that passes understanding. I wasn't scared at all. A total God thing. After a few exchanges back and for they decided it was time to head to surgery. Poor Steve was left all alone to wait for news. The whole way down the hall I prayed outloud very calmly for all the doctors and the baby. Once in the operating room I finally let my mind go to the place of "this baby may not come home with us" and "how are we going to explain this to Ruth?" I was sent back to reality with the consent questions and "can you feel this?" "Why YES I can!" I was pretty sure I was going to have to feel them cut me open and prayed for the ability to stand it. Moments later they gave me gas and a drink they said wouldn't taste good. They were correct yuck! And that was it...

I awoke to a nurse saying "you're baby is fine." It took me a minute to figure out where I was. "Umm where is Steve?" She handed me my phone to call him and find out. He was there in a few minutes to tell me we had a beautiful son! 10 fingers and 10 toes, just needing to have a little oxygen in the NICU. Time all feels fuzzy but they wheeled me in to meet him after that. The amazing Doctor on staff told the nurse she could hold her horses and I could nurse him as long as I wanted too. I couldn't have been more greatful! I got to hold and feed him and cry over him for the first time. (Sorry other babies and families visiting the NICU at that time! I was most definitely loud and a mess!)

Later that morning several doctors shared that it was a very serious delivery and not at all an over precaution that they took him out so quickly. Praise God for the gift of modern medican that saved his life. I am still in awe of his grace.

Again sometime later we arrived in our room. Unfortunately Elijah needed to be monitored that night for his oxygen. After a not plugged in bed fiasco (no meds for several hours!) Elijah joined us in our room! We celebrated with a steak dinner and some sparking cider compliments of the hospital! Early afternoon the Lackeys brought Ruth to the hospital! It was love at first sight (we weren't sure how it would go because she was positive we were having a sister!) gifts between the two were exchanged and lots of hugs and kisses too. Ruth made us so proud to go home with the Lackeys and didn't cry at all!

Later that evening we were informed Elijah would be headed back to the NICU. Little did we know he would not be returning to our room again. Following the birth he was tested and found to have a possible infection. He would have to recieve antibiotics for several days. Staying in the hospital was such a blessing, however, I was able to nurse him around the clock. (It also made me get up and walk. An important thing to do after a c-section.)

After a couple days in the NICU we were moved to intermediate care. This was a huge praise! It ment less sick babies and the prospect of going home soon!! In the midst of everything I was discharged from the hospital, my mom arrived and we moved into the Ronald McDonald house. I would be missing so much of the God things of this story if I didn't mention that Ruth's school not only allowed her to come extra days but also prayed daily in her class for Elijah and checked on us through texting. They even stayed late with her when my mom got lost trying to pick her up 2 hours after arriving in town off the airplane. The Ronald Mcdonald house was one of the biggest blessings to our family. They provided breakfast lunch and dinner plus a comfortable place to stay and play for Ruth. God certainly used that organization to bless us in our time of trile. My mom was likely the biggest blessing of all. She took over almost all of Ruth's care and took care of me too. I'm not sure how we would have managed without her.

Meanwhile God was working in Elijah's care as well. One particular day sticks out in my mind. Elijah was headed home!!! We  over the moon! We fast tracked all our tests (you have to do extra training and testing requirements to be discharged from the NICU.) and all we had left was for them to do the car seat test (sitting in a car seat for an hour) we arrived bright and early the next morning to find he had borderline passed his car seat test and it would have to be repeated. What?! Ok whatever. And then he fails. Miserably. What?! Back on antibiotics (for which they had just removed his head IV (are you kidding?!) and oxygen (he wasn't on this before!!!) did we mention he was circumcised earlier and now he won't wake up and nurse easily. The poor guy gets an X-ray new IV (after 15 plus atempts to get it in) and a hearing test. Thorough out the whole day our nurse was right there giving us extra special attention and encouragement. Bless her she didn't get any of her paperwork done or even a lunch break. Not one time did she even look annoyed. I. Was. A. Mess. Even in our distress God gives us rays of hope. She was our hope that day.

While in the NICU we met several other families. We had a sweet baby with  down syndrome  Whole had been born at 1.7 lbs and another sweet baby born at 2.5 lbs. they were a constant reminder that we didn't have it that bad. When my mind would go to the place of envy of others bringing their babies home days after birth while this was my second NICU baby they would bring me back to reality. My hope is that both are home safe and sound now as they were both hoping to go home within a month or so after us.

We expected not to go home for another 2 days but were surprised with a "you can go home!" On October 23rd! 10 days after checking in we were headed back to Cuba! We were so excited for our sweet church family to meet him! They were so sweet lifting us up in prayer while we were gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment